Friday 1 November 2019

6 facts about the Polish refugees in New Zealand ~ Sina

1) In 1943 Prime Minister Peter Fraser invited a group of Polish children to New Zealand for the duration of the war. - I think this is interesting because back then I would think that war and selfishness would have taken over people but it's good to hear that we had good in our hearts.

2) Most of the refugees chose to settle in New Zealand after the war. Relatives joined some in the late 1940s, while a small number returned to Poland - I find it interesting that after everything they had been through I am surprised that they decided to go back home I would think if they had family they would bring them to a better and safer country.

3) While most of the former soldiers joined free Polish forces fighting on the Allied side - I would be terrified and scared to stand up for my country, so I find it interesting that they came back into forces to fight for their country

4) A camp for the children – dubbed ‘Little Poland’ – was established near Pahīatua in Wairarapa - I think that it is interesting that out of all places in NZ they picked their camp to be there well I guess it makes sense because they are all together

5) Germany’s invasion of the Soviet Union in 1941 prompted Joseph Stalin to send over 120,000 Polish prisoners to Iran, where they languished in refugee camps - That is a lot of people to send over to Iran, especially holding them as prisoners, now the number of people that came to NZ seems much smaller then the prisoners they sent over to Iran.

6) Over 800 people were sent to NZ - It might not be interesting for most people but I find it interesting of how big the number of people they brang, I feel happy that NZ was welcoming to them

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please structure your comments as follows:
Positive - Something done well
Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you read/watched or listened to the post
Helpful - Give some ideas for next time or ask a question you want to know more about

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.